Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I thrive on "busy." I move amongst projects and big ideas and run on full steam until something intervenes. I love solitude and I love crowds. Go figure. Starbucks is my office. I like some people around me while I am working, but not too many.

I am a dreamer. There are so many big pictures in my mind and heart that I must frequently stretch the canvass. I know about strategies and appreciate them. without strategies, nothing will materialize from the vague to the concrete.

As the somewhat dubious Father Divine said, "The problem with most metaphysicians is that they don't know how to tangibilitate."

I am working on this. However, todays lesson is also centering for me as well as sobering. Psalm 127 is my bookmark in the Psalms for today and it is very specific about the spiritual dimension of our planning:

1 - Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.

Getting lost and discouraged in the vanity of a thing is an occupational hazard for dreamers and
schemers. Futility is the fate of those who run on spiritual empty without regular infusions of divine direction, inspiration, and hope.

2 - I t is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.

Work ethic will not substitute for God's energy and purpose. It is the essence of working "smart" that we conserve energy and maximize effort when our hearts are beating with the heart of God.

3 - Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.

For instance, here are children. Who could think that miracle up or bring it to pass with human effort?

4 - As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

5 - Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

Surprisingly, our greatest accomplishments are those that God has more to do with than us.

No comments: